Friday, August 13, 2010

Diary entry of a victim of the Holocaust

Dear Diary,
I hate being a Jew. Looking at my hands covered with blisters and abrasions, I wondered what I did to deserve this. As I sit writing, I could hear cries of despair coming from my roommates. It’s most probably a nightmare. I’ve never had a good dream since 5 years ago. 10 of us were cramped in a room with only 4 uncomfortable beds to spare. I think I am sick. I cough uncontrollably and have large amounts of phlegm stuck in my throat. Or maybe I’m not the only one. Maybe everyone is getting unhealthier by the second. Before Hitler came to power, I was a healthy 80kg man. Now I weigh a measly 40kg. Looking outside, it seems almost time for work. Soon, a German soldier will be shouting for us to wake up. God, when will you cut the chains for me? When will you save me? Lord, I don’t think I can tolerate anymore. I’ve seen my best friend shot to death. I’ve seen the purple unhealthy blood trickling out of his head. Someday, I wonder when it will be my turn. Maybe I should just end this life. Maybe I should just punch a German then be shot. I do not understand why so many of us are afraid of death when we’re experiencing something worse than it. Death seems to be the only solution to escape. Everyday, we have two hours of sleep and worked for twenty-two hours. We were only given one slice of tapioca bread a day. As for me, I work in the railways. I’ve seen many things that would give nightmares for a lifetime. My wife was raped in front of me. And after the German soldier did it, he pulled of all her hair. Her screams echo in my head almost every second. I was helpless and I could not do anything to help her or ease her pain. Why am I such a useless husband? I am also a useless father. My son was bludgeoned to death. Why? Why? Why does this have to happen? The memory of my wife and I walking along the beach with my son collecting seashells seems to be a dream. I could still remember the fateful day I was arrested for “being a Jew”. It was in the wee hours of the morning when I heard my door slammed down. I was pulled out of my slumber and dragged away from my house. I was thrown into a van and they brought me here. I wonder why I am doing work for the dirty dogs. I should just end my life and my family could be together. Away from Germans, away from Hitler…

1 comment:

  1. What is this? A downloaded biography? you are supposed to write your own blog NOT just download something to fill the space.

    ReplyDelete